Mr Pratheesh Maheswaran - B.Sc (Biochemistry with Forensic Science) (QMUL) , M.Sc (Pharmacology) (OXFORD)
- Lecturer (Probationary) in Pharmacy
- 2015/16 Member of Planning Committee, Faculty of Medicine
- 2015/16: General Secretary at the Jaffna Science Association (JSA)
- 2014/15: Assistant General Secretary at the Jaffna Science Association (JSA)
- Studied the consequences of loss of function of the Krebs cycle enzyme fumarate hydratase, particularly dysregulated cellular metabolism, which is linked to oncogenesis, using wide range of molecular biology techniques.
- Research Project (4 months): Supervisor: Professor Chris Schofield – Focused on identifying a new generation of histone demethylase inhibitors, utilizing synthetic chemistry and adopting virtual screening strategy. The work was presented to over 40 members of Professor Schofield’s group in the Chemistry Department.
- Prepared membranes and used radioactive nicotinic binding assay to study in vivo NAADP synthesi
- Used Sea Urchin eggs as a model to identify active compounds for cADPR signaling from a FDA approved drug library.
- Maintained large drug library and used automated fluorescence plate reader to study calcium emission.
- Final year project (4 months): Supervisor: Professor Alexander Ruben “Alterations of PSI light harvesting antenna composition affects state transitions in Arabidopsis thaliana”. Obtained distinction and findings are published in the Nature Plants journal
Nov 12 – Jan 13 Dr Pollard’s Lab, Nuffield Dept of Med, Oxford Research Placement
Oct 11 – Sept 12 University of Oxford MSc in Pharmacology
Dec 11 – Jan 12 Dr Churchill’s lab, Dept of Pharm, Oxford Volunteer Research Asst
Oct 06 – Jun 09 Queen Mary, Uni of London (BSc 2.1) Biochemistry with Forensic Science
- Benson SL, P. Maheswaran, Ware MA, Hunter CN, Horton P, Jansson S, Ruban AV and Johnson MP (2015). An Intact Light Harvesting Complex I Antenna System is required for complete State Transitions in Arabidopsis. Nature Plants, 1, 15176
- Adam, J., M. Yang, Bauerschmidt, M. Kitagawa, L. O’Flaherty, S. Rossell, P. Maheswaran, L. Zheng, R. A. Notebaart, G. Özkan, N. Sahgal, D. Baban, K. Kato, K. Saito, M. Stratford, E. Guade, C. Pugh, D. Tenant, C. Ludwig, C. Frezza, B. Davies, P. Ratcliffe, M. El-Bahrawy, H. Ashrafian, T. Soga, and P.J Pollard. (2013). A Role For Cytosolic Fumarate Hydratase In Urea Cycle Metabolism And Renal Neoplasia. Cell Reports. 3, 1440 – 1448.