Dr.Ramya Kumar - MBBS (Peradeniya), SM (Harvard), PhD (Toronto)
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lecturer (Probationary), Department of Community and Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna (August 2016 – present)
- Teaching Assistant, University of Toronto, Canada (January 2012 – December 2016)
- Medical Officer (Anaesthesiology), Provincial General Hospital Badulla (July 2006 – June 2009)
- Relief House Officer (Genitourinary Surgery), Provincial General Hospital Badulla (May – July 2006)
- Intern Medical Officer (Obstetrics and Gynaecology/Medicine), Provincial General Hospital Badulla (May 2005 – May 2006)
- Demonstrator, Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Peradeniya (September 2004 – March 2005)
- Pre-intern Medical Officer, Medical Clinic, Family Planning Association, Colombo (January – July 2004)
Peer-reviewed journal publications
- Kumar, R & Birn, AEB (2018). Universal health coverage can best be achieved by public systems. BMJ Opinion.
- Kumar, R (2018). Dual practice and inequities in access to healthcare. Jaffna Medical Journal, 30(1), 6-12.
- Kumar, R (2017). ‘Free health’ in the face of healthcare privatization in post-1977 Sri Lanka. Polity, 7(2), 24-30.
- Kumar R, Birn A.E, McDonough P (2016). Agenda-setting in women’s health: Critical analysis of a quarter century of paradigm shifts in international and global health. In J. Gideon (ed.) Gender and Health Handbook (pp.25-44). Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd.
- Kumar R (2014). Expanding private healthcare after the war. Post-war Development in Asia and Africa, 13th Annual CEPA Symposium. Sri Lanka Foundation Institute, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Kumar, R (2013). How are women’s experiences of childbirth represented in the literature? A critical review of qualitative research set in the global south. Women’s Health and Urban Life, 12 (1), 19-38.
- Kumar, R (2013). Abortion in Sri Lanka: The double standard. American Journal of Public Health, 103 (3), 400-404.
- Kumar, R (2012). Misoprostol and the politics of abortion in Sri Lanka. Reproductive Health Matters, 20 (40), 166-174.
- Kumar R, Einstein, G (2012). Cardiovascular disease in Somali women in the diaspora. Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports, 6 (3), 229 -237.
- Kumar R, Reich M.R (2011). Registering Misoprostol in Sri Lanka. In Roberts M.J. & Reich M.R. Pharmaceutical Reform: A Guide to Improving Performance and Equity (pp.211-223). Washington, DC: World Bank.
- Kumar, R. (2018). The privatization imperative: Women negotiating healthcare in Kandy, Sri Lanka. Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON.
- Kumar, R. (2011). Registering misoprostol in Sri Lanka: Why is unsafe abortion off the agenda? Department of Global Health and Population, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA.
- Sri Lanka Medical Association 2018-present
- Jaffna Medical Association 2018-present
- The Alumni, Faculty of Medicine, Jaffna 2018-present
- University of Toronto, Alumni 2018 -present
- Jaffna Science Association 2017- present
- Alumni Association of the University of Peradeniya 2014- present
- Harvard Alumni Association 2011-present
- Peradeniya Medical Students’ Alumni Association 2004-present
Awards and fellowships
- David Coburn Award for Academic Excellence, University of Toronto 2018
- Hastings Memorial Fellowship 2016
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship/Visa 2015
- Lupina Senior Doctoral Fellowship, Comparative Program on Health and Society,
- Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto 2015
- Junior Resident Fellowship, Massey College in the University of Toronto 2015
- Margaret McNamara Educational Grant for Women from Developing Countries 2015
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship/Visa 2014
- Delta Kappa Gamma World Fellowship, Delta Gamma Kappa Society International 2014
- Global Health Student Research Award, University of Toronto 2013
- Doctoral Research Award, International Development Research Center, Canada 2012
- University of Toronto Open Fellowship, University of Toronto 2011
- Edmund J. Curley Scholarship, Harvard School of Public Health 2011
- Hearst Scholarship, Harvard School of Public Health 2011
- Michael von Clemm Traveling Fellowship, Harvard School of Public Health 2010
Invited Peer Review
- Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care March 2016
- BioMed Central Public Health June 2015
- International Journal of Women’s Health January 2014
- National struggles for health equity and universal health coverage: Political drivers. Panel, The Political Origins of Health Inequities and Universal Health Coverage, Organized by The Independent Panel on Global Governance for Health, University of Oslo, Norway (2018).
- Dual practice and inequities in access to healthcare: A qualitative study from Kandy. Oral Presentation, First International Conference on Medical Humanities 2018, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo (2018)
- Public healthcare in Sri Lanka: An endangered model of “universal health coverage”? Comparative Program on Health and Society Seminar Series, Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto. Canada (2016).
- Is our health service free? Jana Mediriya, Kandy, Sri Lanka. Invited by the Kandy Branch of the Sri Lanka Rationalists’ Association (2015).
- Expanding private healthcare after the war. Post-war Development in Asia and Africa; 13th Annual CEPA Symposium. Sri Lanka Foundation Institute, Colombo, Sri Lanka (2014).
- Why is unsafe abortion off the agenda? International Centre for Ethnic Studies, Colombo, Sri Lanka (2011).
- Medicine and Women’s Bodies: The Case of Misoprostol In Sri Lanka, Women Gender and Health Working Group, Harvard School of Public Health, United States of America (2010).
Sri Lanka Medical Council Registration (Registration No. 21308)
Other Qualifications and Training
- Seminars on Medical Education, 2-day workshop organized by the Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna in collaboration with the School of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge (2018)
- Training of Trainers Workshop on Gender Mainstreaming, 3-day workshop organized by University Grants Commission and Commonwealth of Learning (2018)
- Seminars on Medical Education, 4-day workshop organized by the Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna in collaboration with the School of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge (2017)
- Collaborative Specialization in Women’s Health, University of Toronto (2017)
- Advanced Training in Qualitative Health Research Methodology Certificate, Center for Critical Qualitative Health Research, University of Toronto (2014)
- Oral Presentation Skills Seminar, English Language and Writing Support, School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto, Canada (2013)
- Writing Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR) Proposals, English Language and Writing Support, School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto, Canada (2013)
- Interdisciplinary Concentration in Women, Gender and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, United States of America (2011-2009)
- MD Anaesthesiology (Part 1 A) Examination, Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo (2007)