Internal Quality Assurance Unit
Frequently Asked Questions
1.What is meant by IQAU?
This unit functions to enhance the quality education in all the study programs of the University. It was established in the year of 2015 under the instruction of UGC. It executes the instruction of UGC. It executes the directions given by the Quality Assurance Accreditation Council (QAAC) of UGC.
2.What are the functions of IQAU?
- It monitors the whole progress of University.
- It plays a lead role by networking all the IQAC of the different faculties & unit.
- It creates awareness among staff, students & the general public on the quality education system in Sri Lanka.
- It works very hard to implement all the study programs into Sri Lanka qualifications framework. (SLQF)
3. What is the progress of IQAC in the faculty level?
The Faculty Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) will function as part of the Medical Education Unit for logistics purposes and the functions along with the Medical Education Cell.
4. What is the main role of IQAC of faculty of Medicine?
IQAC along with the MEU shall design action plans and implementation mechanisms to ensure that the Quality principles (Best practices) are actually practiced by the Faculty.
5. Who are the members attached to the IQAC of Faculty of Medicine?
- Dr M G Sathiadas – Department of Paediatrics
- Dr K Sivapalan – Dept. of Physiology
- Dr S Kannathasan – Dept. of Parasitology
- Dr H Sivakumar – Dept. Pathology
- Dr K Muhunthan: Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Mr P Maheswaran – Allied Sciences Unit
- All heads will be representing their respective departments at the meetings.
- The Dean will function as ex-officio.
Internal Quality Assurance criteria and the person responsible for each at the Faculty level
- Governance and management: Dr M G Sathiadas
- Curriculum design and development: Dr N Umashankar
- Teaching and learning: Dr H Sivakumar
- Learning resources, students support and progression: Dr V Ambalavanar
- Students assessment and awards: Dr S Ambihaipahan
- Strength and quality off staff: Dr K Muruhananthan
- Postgraduate studies, research, innovation and commercialization: Dr PAD Coonghe
- Community engagement, consultancy, and outreach: Dr R Surenthirakumaran
- Distance education: Mr S Pratheesh
- Quality assurance: Dr T Navaratinarajah
6. What are the IQAC’s Objectives?
- To establish IQAC for faculty
- To conduct Quality assurance workshop
- To ensure bylaws of faculty quality assurance cell
- To conduct IR writing workshop
- To improve teaching & learning programme
- To enhance Curriculum & Programme development
- To ensure faculty governance & management
- To ensure student support and progression
7. What are the benefits to form this IQAC?
- To provide assurance of learning with people’s confidence.
- To develop the quality culture.
- To create a sense of responsibility & a new awareness of process approach throughout the faculty.
- To disseminate the quality education within the faculty.
- To accelerate the activities proposed by the faculty board, senate & council.
8. What are the IQAC’s Action Plans for compliance?
IQAC shall monitor the following designed action plan for compliance with the IQAU and will be implemented at the Faculty level.
- Ensure regular departmental meetings: The departmental meetings should have student teaching learning activities, student assessment, Postgraduate teaching, Staff development, equipment and infrastructure development, research activity as some aspects. The meetings should have statutory responsibilities with minutes maintained at the departmental level.
- Obtain Student Feedback on Course satisfaction/ improvement.
- Regular Peer evaluation of teaching of each staff. Preferably every 6 months
- Ensure the process of curriculum revision and curriculum development policy attached as a separate document
- Ensure the Update of the faculty Handbook and relevant publications
- Ensure to obtain Graduate feedback on degree programme through exit survey and course satisfaction
- Ensure the follow up actions on the subject review recommendations made by the last review undertaken by the IQAA.
9. What are the Criteria and Corresponding Best Practices at the Faculty level?
IQAC in liaison with respective committees in the faculties will ensure that the ten criteria proposed by Program Review Manual namely:
- Programme management
- Human and Physical resources
- Programme design and development
- Course/module Design and Development
- Teaching and Learning
- Learning environment, student support and progression
- Student assessment and awards
- Innovative and Healthy practice
10. What are the progresses of IQAC of faculty of medicine?
- IQAC of faculty of medicine website linked with IQAU website.
- Day by day the progress of IQAC is updating.
- Participate in Institutional Review process.
- IQAC’s meeting has been scheduled in every Wednesday
- A half day workshop on Quality Assurance held on 2nd July 2018
- Workshop on a performance score crd for the internal quality assurance units of Universities
- Report on workshop on awareness of quality assurance and Instituitional review process held on 2nd July 2018
Brief on programme review
Major Mile stones