Undergraduate Research Symposium
2 nd Undergraduate Research Symposium –
This symposium is postponed and the new date will be informed
Faculty of Medicine
University of Jaffna
Under Graduate Research Symposium intends to give platform to present the abstracts of the research carried out as a requirement for their undergraduate degree in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna. Research projects as part of the MBBS, B.Sc. (Nursing), Bachelor of Pharmacy and B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Sciences) programs will be presented in this symposium. 1st Undergraduate Research Symposium was conducted as part of the 40th Anniversary celebrations of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna and then this symposium became an annual event. This 2nd Undergraduate Research Symposium will be held on the 1st of November 2019. The theme for the symposium this year is “Healthy environment and healthy eating for a healthy living”. This symposium will give opportunity for the students to portrait their research findings through oral and poster presentations and laying a good foundation for effective research communication in their carrier.
Abstract submission guidelines
- Only the original research carried out as a requirement for an undergraduate degree in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna can be eligible for submission of an abstract in English according to the guidelines to the 2nd Undergraduate Research Symposium – 2019 (URS 2019), Faculty of Medicine.
- Electronic version of the abstract must be submitted ONLY through the submission portal in the web page for the 2nd Undergraduate Research Symposium – 2019 in the official website of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna. This portal will connect you to Microsoft Conference Management Toolkit (Microsoft CMT).
- All queries related to submission must be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org Abstracts sent to this email will not be considered for review.
- All correspondence regarding submitted papers will be addressed only to the corresponding author indicated during submission with a copy to other authors.
- Deadline for submission of abstract is 15.00 on the 15th July 2019 (Sri Lankan Time).
- Dead line for submission for AHU students – 23rd August 2019
Guidelines for the format of the abstract
- The abstract body should not exceed 350 words which is approximately equivalent to 3500 characters with space).
- It should cover all aspects of the work carried out, i.e. introduction and objective(s), methods, results and discussion and conclusion and recommendation.
- The title of paper should be concise and specific. It should reflect the contents of the research as a whole.
- Tables, diagrams and photographs should not be included.
- Key words/phrases (maximum five) should be provided with the abstract.
- Papers should be submitted as a Microsoft Word document in A4 size with double spaced and 1 inch margin on all sides using Times New Roman, 12 point
Abstract review procedure
- The Undergraduate Research Symposium 2019 committee uses double blind review process.
- The review committee will forward the comments received from the reviewers to the corresponding authors with a copy to other others.
- Authors are expected to respond to the reviewers’ comments within the time frame as informed by the review committee.
- The review committee will check the response of the authors for compliance with the reviewer’s comments and make the final decision on acceptance.
- The abstract can be accepted for an oral presentation or poster presentation or rejected. The acceptance can be acceptance without any correction or with minor or major correction. Abstracts need correction will be accepted only of the corrections are made to the satisfaction of the review committee.
- The decision of the review committee will be considered as last and final.
Publication and presentation
The accepted abstracts will be published in the “Proceedings of the 2nd Undergraduate Research Symposium 2019” that carries an ISSN number. In addition, all the accepted abstracts will be made available in the official website of Faculty of Medicine. An accepted abstract shall be presented by the author, who should be one of the students carried out the research work as a requirement for their undergraduate degree in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna. If the abstract is not presented at all, such list will be displayed in the official website of the faculty.