WHO Jaffna Healthy City Project
Jaffna Healthy City Coordinating Committee
The initial step of raising awareness and commitment of citizens and different sectors and gaining strong commitment and support of grass-root politicians and non-health sectors for the Jaffna Healthy City programme, was completed in Nov/Dec 2019 in Jaffna.
A multidisciplinary team of experts led by the Mayor of Jaffna, experts in the sectors of health, environment, educational, road development, public health engineering, academia and INGOs working on health issues was identified. The team had a series of meeting to identify three action areas to develop the city of Jaffna as a “healthy city” :
- Promoting healthy diet through settings of school and offices
- Promoting physical activity through settings of schools, offices and public spaces
- Creating a sustainable environment through healthy waste management practices at schools, offices and other public spaces
- Promoting behavioral practices to prevent COVID 19 through schools and offices
The next step is to establish a coordinating committee to develop plans of action, working and coordinating mechanisms and to build capacity of the working groups in implementing the actions and to monitor and evaluate the implementation of the plans. This phase is ongoing.
Video and audio-based health promotional activity for COVID-19 control in the Northern Province: an initiative of the Jaffna Healthy City Project
In May 2020, DCFM initiated a collaboration with the Department of Fine Arts, University of Jaffna, under the Jaffna Healthy City project to develop health promotion video and audio clips to engage the community on breaking the transmission of COVID-19 in the Northern Province.
The audio and video clips target the following settings:
- Public markets
- Grocery stores/supermarkets
- Public transportation
- Barber/beauty salons
- Functions (e.g. weddings)
- Places of worship
- Schools and universities
- Restaurants/tea shops