Dr.S.Kumaran - MBBS (Jaffna), DFM (Colombo), MD (Colombo)
Lecturer, Family Medicine, Department of Community and Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna (2010 – present)
Family Physician, University Family Health Center, Divisional Hospital Kondavil, Jaffna (2012 – present)
Medical Officer, Anesthesia and Intensive Care Unit, Base Hospital Awissawella (Dec 2005 – July 2010)
Relief House Officer, Neonatal Unit, De Soysa Hospital for Women, Colombo (Feb – Dec 2005)
Intern House Officer, De Soysa Hospital for Women, Colombo (Aug 2004 – Feb 2005)
Intern House Officer, National Hospital Sri Lanka, Colombo (Feb – Aug 2004)
- Kumaran S, Surenthirakumaran.R, AzizulHaq,Nithiyalingam.A, ,Gobith.R. Public and Patients involvement in chronic illness care, a way to provide universal health coverage in poor resource setting: A case study. Jaffna Medical Journal. 2018. Accepted
- Kumaran, S., Chapman, R.S., Abi, B., Gokhale, K.M., Wijeyaratne, C. N., Rashan, H., Nirantharakumar, K. Enhancing coordinated health care in Sri-Lanka by developing an Information Technology-driven health care system: An opinion. Sri Lankan Family Physician. 2018. Accepted.
- Kumaran S, Perera.A. Natures miracle. Sri Lankan Family Physician. 2017 Oct;33(1):70
- Kumaran S,Perera D.P. Dealing with medically unexplained symptoms in primary care. Sri Lankan Family Physician. 2017 Oct;33(1):50-53
- Kumaran S, Suganthan.N Dealing with vitamin D deficiency in general practice A review. Sri Lankan Family Physician.2017 Oct;33(1):46-49
- Kumaran S. Empty nest syndrome and its consequence a case report. Sri Lankan Family Physician.2016 Oct;32(2):124
- Kumaran, S., Malawan, R., Surenthirakumaran, R. & Coonghe, P. A. D. (2016). Empowering the local community to enhance their own health. Sri Lankan Family Physician, 32 (1), 28.
Kumaran, S. (2015). Influence of Tamil tradition on health. Proceedings of 22nd Jaffna Science Association Annual Sessions
- Kumaran, S. (2014). Exploring new ways to protect the environment for health. Proceedings of Jaffna Science Association,
- Kumaran, S. (2013). Preclinical department in model primary health care: Conceptual framework. Annual Scientific Sessions, Oral Presentation.
- Surenthirakumaran, R., Coonghe, P. A. D., Kumaran, S., Arulnesan, A. & Dela Bandara, R. (2013). Knowledge, attitude and practices regarding nutrition in a newly resettled population in Northern Province, Sri Lanka. 39th College of General Practitioners of Sri Lanka Annual Academic Sessions.
- Kalaialagan, K., Kumaran, S. & Coonghe, P. A. D. (2013). Prevalence of malnutrition and its influencing factors among grade 5 children in Jaffna Educational Division. Jaffna Medical Association Annual Scientific Sessions
- Ozaal, A. M. O. M., Vasikaran, N., Kumanan, T. & Kumaran, S. (2013). Impact of medical adherence on blood glucose control and factors influencing medical adherence of type 2 diabetes patients attending the professorial medical clinic in Teaching Hospital Jaffna. Jaffna Medical Association Annual Scientific Sessions.
- Karunarathne, R. M. G. & Kumaran, S. (2013). Empowering mental health via meditation to prevent non-communicable diseases and related social problems. The 2nd International Meditation Seminar, Mahachulalongkornraja Vidyalaya University, Thailand,
- Senthilnanthanan, M., Santhan, A., Kumaran, S. & Saravanan, S. (2013). Performance evaluation of sewage treatment plant of the Jaffna Teaching Hospital. Special Session on Structural Health Monitoring, 4th International Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction Management, Kandy, Sri Lanka.
- Karunarathne, R. M. G., Kumaran, S. & Sivapalan, K. (2012). A physiological change may emerge as a psychological crisis (a case study). 3rd Biennial Conference of the South Asian Association of Physiologists, Sri Lanka.
- Karunarathne, R. M. G & Kumaran, S. (2012). Utility of religious insight to empower problem solving skills (a case study). International Buddhist Conference, Buddhasravakabhiksu University, Anuradhapura
- Surenthirakumaran, R., Kumaran, S., Piratheeshka, B. & Tharshiny, M (2011). Nutritional assessment of elderly in Jaffna. College of General Practitioners of Sri Lanka
- Kumaran, S. & Sivarajah, N. (2011). Effects of Ricinus communis Poisoning. 18th Jaffna Science Association Annual Sessions
- Kumaran, S. & Karunarathne, R. M. G. (2010). A Buddhist approach to reduce widow related issues in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference of Sri Lanka Association of Buddhist Studies, Sri Lanka International Buddhist Academy, Pallekele, Kandy
- Kumaran, S., Perera, M. S. A. & Sivajogan, S. (2010). The morbidity profile and primary medical care services in Jaffna: A preliminary study. Internal Congress on Family Medicine, Indian Medical Association College of General Practitioners
- Kumaran.S, Surenthirakumaran R, Coonghe PAD, Sivarajah.N , community oriented Primary care Jaffna A model primary care in Sri-Lanka ,A story so far 2012-2017,I ed Sri Lanka Department of Community and Family Medicine university of Jaffna. ISBN 978-955-0585-15-1
- Gobith.R, Kumaran.S, Surenthirakumaran.R, Jeyakumaran.A Public to public partnership in rural health development a case study from Sri-Lanka in Istwonca rural health conference new Delhi India, 26-28, April,2018.
- Kumaran.S ,SenethSamaranayake. The effectiveness of a metered dose inhalation technique education package in 1 st IPCRG south Asian scientific conference Sri Lanka, 3-5 August 2017.
- Kumaran.S, A sustainable healthy community through effective motivational strategies in 10 th Annual Research Conference 23-25 Sri-Lanka March 2017.
- Kumaran.S, Somasundaram.D, Nayalini.S, Madona.H. Validating a screening tool for depression, anxiety and chronic stress in Tamil. Annual Scientific session, Jaffna medical association. 2017.
- Sivamaran,T. Pavithrah,G. Sanjeevan,G. Kumaran,S. a clinical audit on MDI inhalation technique among asthmatic and COPD patients attending divisional hospital Kondavil. Annual Scientific session. Jaffna Medical Association. 2017
Kumaran S , Role of Selective beta blockers in Asthmatic or COPD patients with CCF. IMPA news June2017: 22(06)
- Life Member, Jaffna Science Association (2010 – present)
- Trustee, AHEAD – Association for Health Education and Development (2012 – present)
- Member, Medical Education Cell, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna (2012 – present)
Strengthening primary care systems
Developing a population-based cohort
Assessing the impact and effectiveness of traditional medicine
- Post-graduate teaching in Family Medicine, Diploma in Family Medicine programme, Post-Graduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo, and College of General Practitioners Sri Lanka.
- Post-graduate teaching, Masters in Health Care Management, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Jaffna.
- Undergraduate teaching in Family Medicine at Faculty of Medicine Jaffna, Faculty of Medicine Colombo, Faculty of Medicine Ragama and Faculty of Medicine Sri Jayawardenapura.
- Undergraduate teaching, Allied Health Sciences Unit, Faculty of Medicine Jaffna, University of Jaffna.
- Undergraduate teaching, Unit of Siddha Medicine, University of Jaffa.
- Instructor, Midwife training programmes, Northern province.
- Evaluator for undergraduate programmes
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna: Essays, OSCE
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Sri Jayawardenapura: OSCE, VIVA, MCQ
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya: OSCE
- Evaluator for undergraduate allied health sciences programmes
- Allied health science unit Faculty Medicine Jaffna
Cardiovascular risk assessment based on WHO/ISH risk prediction, Family Health Center, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna (2016).
Sri Lanka Medical Council Registration no.19542
- Co investigator in NIHR global health research grant 2018.
- Clinical research fellow at Institute of applied health research ,University of Birmingham UK 2017-2018
Ongoing Research and Development activities
- Developing a Proposal on “Prevalence of Atrial Fibrillation, cost effectiveness and feasibility of various case finding strategies for Atrial Fibrillation among adults in Northern Province, Sri Lanka.”
- Preparing a grant application for Primary Health care service delivery innovation under Primary Health Care System strengthening project
- Preparing a training model for primary care doctors on the family doctor system with the collaboration of Northern Health ministry.
- Preparing a five year strategic plan for community outreach activities for Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna.
- Leading a community health empowerment program in University Field Project Area.
- Working as an acting consultant Family Physician at university Family Health Centre and enhancing health service delivery in University Field Project Area
Continuous professional development
- Attendance of scientific meetings/ Workshops/ Seminars/ Lectures/ Journal clubs etc.
- Master of Public Heath lectures and Data analysis practical from 2017 September to June 2018
- END-NOTE work shop on October – 2018
- Literature review though Medline on November 2017
- Research proposal development work shop on October 2017 and January 2018
- Health informatics strategy development workshop on June 2018
- The NIHR Global Health Research Group on Atrial Fibrillation Management-Launch Meeting June 2018
- Weekly update meeting on Health Informatics and monthly health informatics theme meeting
- Lectures on Patient and Public involvement and engagement
- Monthly Journal clubs: Prediction Models, Machine learning
- Two-week training on “How to conduct patient group education” on August 2018
- Workshop on “How to management of chronic respiration problem in general practice”Workshop “how to management of chronic respiration problem in general practice”on November 2017.
- Training on EMR on November 2017 and August 2018
- Training on GP-practice management, Clinical audit, how to write appraisal, dealing with complaints on November 2017 and August 2018
- Participated in workshops conducted by Provincial and Central health ministries on strengthening primary care in Sri Lanka October 2018